Sunday, April 12, 2020

Things I Like (That you probably don't)

I have tossed around the idea of starting a baseball card blog for a couple of months now. I have really enjoyed reading some of the other card blogs out there over the past year and felt like I had something to offer with my perspective. And that's what's been fun about reading the various card blogs out there: unique perspectives. I have visited Nick's Dime Boxes and Night Owl Cards most often, but have enjoyed many others along the way. The inspiration for my inaugural post is something Night Owl recently wrote about, adapting a "things I don't like" theme and turning it positive. I liked the idea and thought it would give you a good introduction to me as a collector. So here are ten things about baseball cards that I like and that you probably don't.


10) Topps Opening Day


Pretty simple reasoning here. I am of the belief that cards should be affordable, especially for young kids. I feel one way to get more kids into the hobby would be to make more inexpensive products available. Topps Opening Day packs are usually only a dollar or two, and as such, are the only new product I typically buy. It's either because I'm cheap, stubborn, or both that I can't pony up more than that for a pack.



9) Any brand of plastic pages (except those old, hard, brittle ones of course)


They can be the far superior Ultra Pro pages or flimsier pages probably meant for photos or something (but still the standard size). I'm good either way.


8) Miscut Cards


I know some people actually do like these. But I'll go out of my way to buy a 1977 miscut of a random guy out of a dime box. It's kind of a shame these cards have gone extinct (unless there are still miscuts today of which I am unaware).


7) Commons


I love looking through a big box of cards, even if I know most will be commons. Why? Because of my Frankenset/many mini-collections (more on those at a later date). It's fun to be able to find a "hit" that most people would pass by without a thought. This Frankenset card sums up how I view a box of commons:





6) Manager Cards


Especially when they are of a player from my youth (mid-nineties). And more especially if they have managerial stats on the back.





Love the 1992 Topps. So many stats on the back. Here we are treated to the lengthy and successful managerial career of George Anderson.


5) Duplicates

I'm not sure why I enjoy having a dozen or twenty or thirty of the same card, but I do. It might stem from my younger days when I had far fewer cards and thus, had a better grasp and appreciation for my inventory. Filling a page with nine of this card was an early thrill for me.




Am I or was I ever a Mark Langston fan? No, but it didn't matter!


4) and 3) Jumbos AND Minis


They're hard to store and display, but other than that, I think they are really neat. I like minis more, but my aging eyes prefer jumbos.


2) 1988 and 1989 Donruss


The designs aren't great. Neither are the photos. But they are the cards of my youth. And I'm partial to a team logo on the front, so there's that.


1) "Junk" Wax Rookies






These were the gems of my youth. The most exciting of them all was the 1989 Donruss Ken Griffey Jr. I didn't grow up with a lot of money to spend on cards and rarely got them as gifts because I just don't think they were on people's radar. So when I did get my hands on some packs in the mid-nineties, it was often the reviled "overproduction era" cards. Junk wax as they are so unfairly called. So I say, give me your 1988 Alomars, Graces, and Glavines yearning to breathe free. Your 1989 Griffeys, Biggios, Schillings, Smoltzes, and Sheffields. Even your 1990 Thomases, Sosas, Gonzalezes, and Oleruds. After all, these were the guys I grew up watching. Why not add a few more to the dozens I already have? No one else wants them anyway, right?

8 comments:

  1. Great list & welcome to the blogs! I agree with you about Opening Day -- most of the cards are basically reprints of Series 1 and it doesn't serve much of a purpose except being cheap, but I still love it anyways. Also manager cards rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of miscuts although I o longer collect them. Great start for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of the manager cards as they replaced one of my favorites: team cards. I'm in the middle of collecting all of the Topps team cards. I have 339 out of (by my count) 729.

    I love that Biggio card you show. I only collect Topps, but I'm a sucker for a catcher in his gear, especially in game action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I like the team cards, too. There is enough room in a set for both, I believe. But I don't think either is included in sets these days, right? At least not the Topps base card set. Curious too how you define a team card. Are you looking at only ones where the team is pictured, like a team photo? Or do you also include the team checklist cards with a random photo of some game action?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duplicates are something that I've really gotten into over the last couple of years, I absolutely love seeing full pages of the same card, I can't explain why exactly, there's just something about it that brings me a lot of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came across your blog - welcome to the community!

    ReplyDelete