Saturday, April 29, 2023

More Lesser Knowns

I'm not sure if anyone other than me finds the "Lesser Known" collection interesting, but in the off chance someone does, here are some recent additions. 

Starting with the son of a Hall of Famer and the brother of a Hall of Famer.



Lou Boudreau's son played five minor league seasons, reaching as high as AA.



Albert "Butts" Wagner was the brother of Honus Wagner. Albert played one season in MLB. 
Here's a much better picture of the older brother: 



Ralph Garr Sr. played 13 major league seasons. His son, Ralph Jr. played just four seasons in the minors, topping out at Single A.



I don't follow the NBA much these days, but I do know the name Donovan Mitchell. He's been an All-Star the past four seasons, beginning his career in Utah and now playing for the Cavaliers. The minor leaguer with the same name reached AAA with the New Orleans Zephyrs in 1998.



The name Larry Allen reminds me of the dominant Cowboys lineman from the 90s Super Bowl winning teams. Here's his minor league baseball name sake, who was in the White Sox organization and reached single-A:


See my full list here: Wax Pack Wonders: The Lesser Knowns. And click here for some additional posts about these players: Wax Pack Wonders: Lesser Known. I'm always on the lookout for more cards to add to the list, so feel free to add suggestions in the comments below. 

10 comments:

  1. Love the idea of this series. I'm always happy to learn something interesting about Bob Melvin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to issue a mea culpa on Mr. Melvin. I just looked again and am now pretty sure they aren't brothers. The lesser knowns are tricky sometimes and I've erred a few times and this was one of them! I usually try to double check, but messed this one up.

      Delete
    2. It's all good. By the way... I made a COMC purchase yesterday that was specifically based on this post. Don't worry it's not a Melvin. It's a lesser known relative of a famous player.

      Delete
    3. Awesome! It's fun to find these and track them down.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know any of those lesser knowns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I saw something like this on TCDB, but not these exact players. Someone sent me a minor league card of Ted Williams (not that one) and there was a Red Sox pitcher named Stephen Curry (not that one)

    That said, I didn't know Honus had a brother named Butts, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to imagine being Honus' brother, or Lou's son; the pressure to succeed must've been incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, could you email me concerning cards on your want list? Thanks, Jon. ludequus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure the Donovan Mitchell whose card is pictured on your post is the father of the NBA star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Yeah just looked it up and you're right. Thanks!

      Delete