Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Role-Reversal: My Favorite Frankenset Card by Page; Page 6 (Cards 55-63)

It's time for another installment of my favorite Frankenset card (by page), where I show off my Frankenset by giving you my top three favorite cards from each page of the Frankenset. Let's jump right in.

3) 1981 Topps #62, Joe Pettini



This card is a beautiful convergence of the 1970s and 1980s.


2) 1992 Donruss Triple Play #63, Rickey Henderson



The 1992 Donruss Triple Play set has some great Frankenset material. The makers of the set clearly were trying to be a little bit off the wall in an attempt to cater to a young audience. I'm a little torn about what I think about their approach, but I think I'm ok with it. One of the main reasons why is the fact that this was the middle of the overproduction era and this was kind of a fringe set, so why not do something a little different. I mean, you had both Upper Deck and Leaf in 1992 basically copy their 1991 design, and none of the other card makers really did anything too exciting in my opinion that year. So Triple Play's strange pictures and odd subsets work for me in that context. 

On page five of the Frankenset, we saw an entry from the Triple Play set, and now have another. It's a bit puzzling, though, to use an odd photo for a player of the caliber of Rickey Henderson. For Pat Kelly, sure. But Rickey had just broken the career stolen base record the season prior, so you'd think there would have been an opportunity there.


1) 1994 Score #61, Jose Canseco




The scene was Fenway Park, May 29, 1993. With shadows overtaking the field and the Rangers desperately behind in their game against the Red Sox, slugger Jose Canseco asks his manager Kevin Kennedy for a chance to pitch. In his first and only major league pitching appearance, Canseco pitches the 8th inning, allowing three hits, three runs, and three walks as the Rangers fall 15 to 1. 

This game was just three days after what was perhaps Canseco's most famous (or infamous) highlight. On May 26, Carlos Martinez of the Indians hit a deep fly ball to right field that Canseco misplayed. The ball hit him on the top of the head and bounced over the fence for a home run. It was quite a stretch of three days for Mr. Canseco. 

Remarkably, after the pitching appearance on the 29th, Canseco began having elbow trouble and would have Tommy John surgery six weeks later. He missed the remainder of the 1993 season. 

In fact, as I learned from the back of this card and confirmed with some additional research, Jose's career was considered to be in jeopardy as a result of the injury. Of course, he made it back to have several more solid seasons in MLB.


Here's a look at Jose Canseco's mound performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iufXBbwtUk

Which of these was your favorite from page six?

5 comments:

  1. Man. A three-card battle shouldn't be this tough.

    Pettini - Never heard of him, but he nailed the classic bank robber look.
    Rickey - I kind of agree with you. Great player, but a weird photo choice.
    Canseco - Well-known player, once in a career photo op. Juicer though.

    Voting for the Canseco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll also go with the Canseco. The Pettini is a little creepy if I'm being honest and you're correct about Rickey deserving a better image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canseco, pretty cool to have that one brief moment of his career captured in cardboard form!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How the heck have I not seen that Canseco before? I totally remember that game and all the drama it caused due to his injury. By the way... it gets my vote as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard that Canseco story before, it's so weird to think that a manager would've just allowed him to go in and pitch like that, even if you are losing big.

    ReplyDelete