Wednesday, July 8, 2020

A Hollywood Connection: My Favorite Frankenset Card by Page; Page 7 (Cards 64 - 72)

It's time for another installment of my favorite Frankenset card (by page), where I show off my Frankenset by giving you my top three favorite cards from each page of the Frankenset. This week's cards feature a player on an odd team and two "lesser knowns".

3) 2000 Topps #71, Tim Raines



Raines played a forgettable 58 games with the A's. I don't remember it. You probably don't either. Unless you were a big Raines or A's fan, then maybe you do. If so, kudos to you! Gotta show you the back, too, because I love seeing stat lines from a long career:



2) 1990 Bowman #68, Jose Cano



This one might be puzzling you. It's a card from one of the most boring card designs ever of a little known player standing in front of a jail or something. So, I'll give you a hint. Look at the last name again. Yep, that's Robinson's dad. The definition of a "lesser known" if there ever was one. Robbie's dad pitched in 6 big league games in 1989 and later enjoyed some moderate success playing in China. 


1) 2004 Bowman Draft #69, Ray Liotta



I don't remember how I found this card, but I saw a listing for it on a website before I saw the card itself. Despite this, when the card arrived, it still boggled my mind. I think what made it even more jarring was the fact that this Ray Liotta played in the White Sox organization. And who did the actor Ray Liotta portray in Field of Dreams? Shoeless Joe Jackson, of the White Sox. So fitting.

Random: did you know Ray Liotta married Mark Grace's ex-wife? The Graces divorced in 1993, and Ray Liotta and Michelle Grace were married from 1997 to 2004.

I'll let the back of the card answer the question that may be spinning through your head right now.


Not too surprisingly, no relation. After dominating the competition in Rookie and A ball, Ray Liotta topped out at AAA Omaha (Royals Organization) in 2009.

Which card is your favorite of this week's group?

8 comments:

  1. I did my own post on Ray Liotta:

    https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2015/05/ca-2005-just-minors-justifiable-ray.html

    He is actually distantly related to actor Ray Liotta. But I didn't know the part about Mark Grace.

    But even after all that, the Raines card is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bowman didn't do their genealogical homework apparently.

      Delete
  2. Going to have to dig and see if I still have that card of Cano - I had a complete set of 1990 Bowman at one point as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have another Ray Liotta card from a minor league all-star set. It mentioned how he was related but can’t remember what it said. I’ll have to pull it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm voting for Raines. I learned about his time with the A's from either another blog or by seeing a trading card. I have no recollection of him playing with them... and yeah... I'm an A's fan. Lol. Not a very good one I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew a Ray Liotta in college. Not (as far as I know) related to the other two. Jose Cano pitched to his son in the home run derby one year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have spent part of CoronaCon cleaning out parts of my collection, including my scorecards and ticket stubs. I actually saw Jose Cano pitch in a game against the Cardinals. I don't remember the part where he pitched, I more remembered that Bob Forsch started the game for the Astros. Forsch was on the Cardinals for something like 15 years, but pitched the last year and a half with Houston. Anyway, Cano took over for Forsch in the second inning, gave up a home run to Tom Brunansky. The Astros lost by many many runs.

    ReplyDelete