Saturday, July 18, 2020

My Favorite Frankenset Card by Page; Page 8 (Cards 73 - 81)

It's time for another installment of my favorite Frankenset card (by page), where I show off my Frankenset by giving you my top three favorite cards from each page of the set. Let's jump right in.

3) 1993 Donruss #78, Damon Berryhill



I have what I suppose is a perverse love of cards showing failure and pain. This is one of them. My guess is this photo captures a moment right after a strikeout. 


2) 1992 Donruss Triple Play #80, Roger McDowell



Legendary jokester Roger McDowell has several unique cards, and this is one of them. Here, McDowell is shown bringing the lineup card out to the umpires while wearing a tool belt and a conspicuously large piece of sandpaper in his back pocket. Also note the sandpaper wrapped around his socks. By all accounts, the guy kept things interesting.


1) 2001 Fleer Futures #81, Tom Glavine




There are at least a few cards featuring Tom Glavine batting, which shouldn't be too surprising considering he played 22 seasons in the major leagues. I really like this one, courtesy of a nice set called Fleer Futures. Any guesses on Tom Glavine's career batting average? (Answer below.) 


With page eight now in the books, I thought I would start a standings section at the end of these posts tracking the Frankenset categories these cards fit into. For this post, we have an "Field Action Fail" with the Berryhill, a "Field Action - Awkward" with the McDowell, and a pitcher hitting with the Glavine. If a card happens to fit more than one category, I take the top two categories that made it qualify for the Frankenset, then split it into half points. I went back and calculated the previous seven pages, so after eight pages, here's what we've seen:

Category  Points
Lesser Known: 3.5
Glasses: 3
Mustache: 3
Odd Team: 3
Pitcher Hitting: 3
Field Action - Awkward: 2
Equipment Oddity: 1
Facial Expression - In Action: 1
Field Action Fail: 1
Pitcher Running Bases: 1
Position Player Pitching: 1
Why is he bunting?: 0.5
Chew: 0.5
Funny Name/Nickname: 0.5


Tom Glavine's career batting line:
  • 1323 at-bats
  • .186 BA
  • 1 HR
  • 90 RBI
  • .454 OPS

What was your favorite card from page 8? The Berryhill fail? The McDowell shenanigans? Or the Glavine follow-through?

4 comments:

  1. I thought Glavine was a good hitter. Maybe I'm confusing him with somebody else.

    Voting for the McDowell. Even though he spat on Kramer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amount of effort McDowell went through makes me tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an easy decision for me: McDowell all the way. I'll be adding a copy of that card to my Folder of Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. McDowell for the win. Would love to see a video clip leading up to this point... as well as how things played out with the umps.

    ReplyDelete