Monday, March 29, 2021

Did that dog just pee on the field? - The Frankenset Recap (Page 14: Cards 119 to 127)

A couple of weeks ago, I revealed that my Frankenset was complete. I thought it would be fun to share the set page by page on this blog, and also provide some random commentary along with each page. More information on the Frankenset as well as links to the pages that have been revealed can be found here.

I'll also occasionally share miscellaneous information about the set in its entirety. This week, I'm revealing the players depicted most often in the Frankenset:

Player / Number of Appearances:

Jose Rijo - 5
Tom Glavine - 5
Jose Canseco - 5
Greg Maddux - 5
Dwight Gooden - 5
Steve Carlton - 4
Hideo Nomo - 4
19 Players - 3

Today, we'll look at page 14, cards 119 to 127.

1992 Leaf #119, Julio Franco
























Come on, Julio, it's not the helmet's fault.



1992 Donruss #120, Carlos Baerga
























Is Albert Belle is coming after him with a bat? I'd like to think so. 



1991 Score #121, Oddibe McDowell
























MLB Limbo Champion, 1990.



1980 Topps #122, Dave Rosello
























The Rosello 'Fro



1995 Collector's Choice #123, Randy Johnson
























A 6'10" American League pitcher in the pre-interleague era tossing his bat at the ball. The definition of card perfection.



1993 Upper Deck #124, Andy Van Slyke
























Upper Deck recognized Van Slyke's All-Star season in 1992 by showing him in the aftermath of being hit by a pitch. No idea why.



1992 Upper Deck Minors #125, Mark Anthony
























I need to know, yeah, I need to know why Mark Anthony is making a fish lips face in this photo.



1996 Score #126, Benito Santiago
























I'm sure Reds owner Marge Schott's St. Bernard (Schottzie) was a nice dog, but Marge wasn't and most people didn't like her. So the dog wasn't nearly as popular as he could have been. I read a biography of Schott and of the players said they hated the dog because Marge would let it just poop anywhere and not pick up after it. That sentiment is confirmed in this AP article from 1995, which provides more entertaining info on the dog saga.



1989 Fleer #127, Frank Viola



If Frank's face stayed like that, I hope he consulted a doctor.


Do you have a favorite from the page? I'd have to go with Randy Johnson #1, Van Slyke #2, and the Schottzie cameo at #3. If it wasn't Marge Schott's dog, that card would have shot up to #1. 

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I've always liked the McDowell card.

    I remember a marvelous story in Sports Illustrated back in the '90s about Schott and Schottzie. It wasn't flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd pick Rosello as my favorite, mostly because he's the only guy who looks like a baseball player in the shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Randy Johnson
    2. Carlos Baerga
    3. Frank Viola - more for the card design than the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost everything I remember about Schott involves something negative... but that dog is pretty darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy Johnson and Oddibe McDowell are my favorites here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frank Viola looks like he's pitching the Twins logo instead of a ball!

    ReplyDelete