Friday, June 10, 2022

A Vintage Set Build - 1973

I'm not sure what specifically sparked the idea, but I decided within the last couple of months to try to build the 1973 Topps set. This despite the high number beast that is the Mike Schmidt/Ron Cey rookie card. My chase has been aided significantly by my decision to trade on TCDB.com. I've been able to jettison some of my unwanted vintage and turn it into some 1973 needs. But it was good old reliable Bo over at Baseball Cards Come to Life that came through and put me over the halfway mark for the set. Bo has helped me with many different collections over the past couple of years with his fantastic want list and trade list, which make it really easy to match up for each side. He's also super easy to work with, unlike a few of the folks over on TCDB (though most are fairly reasonable). 

So, let's cut to the chase. What did Bo send? Over 150 cards - just from 1973 Topps! He included a bunch of high numbers and some star players, too. Here's the glorious spread:



Here are some of the more notable names of the group:




And some of my favorite cards from this trade. First up are some great posed shots. 


And one of my favorite features of the set, some memorable action shots. 



Thanks Bo! 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on crossing over the 50% mark. 1973 is the one Topps flagship baseball set I'm missing from my 1972 to 1986 run. I've actually had two different people reach out to help me build this set, but I was too intimidated to start. Figured I'd just one day buy a complete one. Then the hobby boom occurred, so that's not going to happen anytime soon. Best of luck on your set build though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah some of the prices, especially on the high numbers, are crazy.

      Delete
  2. I still have about a hundred cards from this set that are doing nothing but sitting in a box. Are your needs up on the TCDB? If so, I can probably look sometime in the next couple of days and see if we can get that set a little closer to completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Yeah my list is up on TCDB. Feel free to check it out. I also have a trade list so hope you can find something for us to swing a trade.

      Delete
  3. Glad to help! '73 is one of my favorite sets.

    ReplyDelete