Thursday, February 2, 2023

A 1955 Bowman Birthday: Red Schoendienst (A New Series)

Boosted by a Christmas gift card boom, I have been adding to my 1955 Bowman set build. Between eBay, COMC, and TCDB, I have added a big chunk of cards in the last couple of months. I'm now at 242 out of the 320 card set. Recent notable additions include:

Nellie Fox
Lou Boudreau
Bobby Thomson
Bobby Shantz
Enos Slaughter
Gil McDougald
Phil Cavarretta
Roy Campanella 
Carl Erskine
Bob Lemon
Carl Furillo
Early Wynn

There were some high number acquisitions along with a few commons, too. But today's featured card is another recent find, card #29 Al "Red" Schoendienst, another Hall of Famer. Why am I featuring this card today? Well, today would have been Red's 100th birthday. I plan to feature all the cards I have of players that would have turned 100 this year. This gets a little tricky, though, because a not insignificant number of cards have the wrong birth year for the player. But some cross-referencing never bothered me. In fact, it will be necessary for this series, as I try to provide some interesting info about the players.

Here's my actual card of Red Schoendienst:


Date of Birth: 

February 2, 1923

First Year in Organized Baseball:

1942 with the Albany (GA) Cardinals and the Union City (TN) Greyhounds, both Class D teams in the St. Louis Cardinals organization. 

Link to a Really Old Baseball Guy:

Schoendienst's manager in his first MLB season (1945) was Hall of Famer Billy Southworth, who was born in 1893 and began his minor league playing career in 1912.

Definitely not a card I own.

Link to a Much Younger Guy:

Managed Ray Lankford on the 1990 Cardinals. 

1990 Upper Deck - Ray Lankford

Interesting Facts: 

  • Red was actually inducted into the Hall of Fame as a player in 1989 by the Veterans Committee. Most people still around today would better remember him as a manager. He managed a total of 14 years in MLB, leading the Cardinals to the World Series title in 1967. His managerial success no doubt boosted his Hall of Fame case. 
  • 10-time All-Star
  • Played or managed in the Cardinals organization in 32 separate seasons.
  • Died June 6, 2018 at the age of 95.
There appears to be 11 more 100th birthdays from the 1955 Bowman set to celebrate this year (pending double-checks of their birth years). Quick math tells us these players would have been either 31 or 32 during the 1955 season. As a result, no coach cards or umpire cards will be featured. I'll try to get to those in other posts. 

8 comments:

  1. Woo! A new series! ... I definitely know Red Schoendienst as a manager, and of the Cardinals in his later managing days, who weren't very good.

    Billy Southworth has a couple cards in the Conlon sets if you want to pick one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Schoendienst has over 1,500 cards according to the TCDB, and amazingly his name is misspelled on only 5 of them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the first time I saw Schoendienst was on his 1990 Topps Traded card... but if I had to guess, I knew his name long before that (no way to confirm that though).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some impressive adds. Certainly more impressive than my recently found Frank Bolling :)

    ReplyDelete