Sunday, February 26, 2023

My First Frankenset: The Top Cards - Honorable Mentions

I never had a clear plan for how to reveal my long-ago finished Frankenset. I've shown bits and pieces of it on the blog, and had some of the pages uploaded, but recently decided to finish it - in the sense of getting all the pages loaded to my Frankenset page. I suppose part of the reason it has taken me so long is that the set is 800 cards. So that's pretty big. But also, I've had other card projects that have pulled me away. 

Feel free to check out the link above to see all the cards in the set (89 pages!). I plan to reveal my top 10 favorite cards from my Frankenset. But first, I will show the honorable mentions, cards that just missed the cut for the top 10. 

1993 Upper Deck #124 - Andy Van Slyke

Choosing this image for a card of a prominent All-Star player of the early 90s is a bit puzzling. But I'm can't say I'm displeased that they chose it.

1994 Topps #180 - George Brett

You may be aware that Nolan Ryan's last season was 1993, and he had some fantastic cards toward the end of his career. But so did George Brett, whose final season was also 1993. This one is my favorite of Brett's late-career cards. 

1996 Score #126 - Benito Santiago

If I'm not mistaken, I think Schottzie is the most famous (infamous?) dog in baseball history. You don't see very many dogs on baseball cards, though there are some. Marge Schott was the Reds owner, and she often had Schottzie on the field. When he would do his business, she did not pick up after him. Obviously, this irked a lot of people. Also, incidentally, I believe this card features Schottzie 2. 


1970 Topps #252 - Lowell Palmer
Lowell Palmer had a 5-18 win/loss record over five MLB seasons. This legendary card ensures Mr. Palmer has not been forgotten, at least by the card collecting community.


1973 Topps #273 - Chris Speier
This card was voted the best of Dime Boxes second Frankenset. And for good reason. It's just a great card.

1992 Score #311 - Jeff Reed
I don't typically find joy in other people's pain but for some reason, this card makes me chuckle pretty much every time I see it.


1973 Topps #542 - Pat Corrales
Another legendary card from 1973 Topps. A painful collision with Fergie Jenkins. Written about many times, this card was a Cardboard Appreciation selection by Night Owl.

I plan to feature a countdown of cards 10 to 6 in my next post, then finish up with the top 5. Do you have any favorites among today's group? Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. All of these are pretty cool... and there are a couple I've never seen before (Reed & Van Slyke). I'm predicting Palmer gets a few votes... but my favorite from this bunch is the Brett's sunset card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Brett really stood out to me as a kid. And even though I hadn't seen it in a while, it still does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that '94 Topps Brett card. The '73 play at the plate cards and Palmer '70 are nice, too. If these missed the cut I can't wait to see what made your Frankenset.

    Which reminds me.. I've got to reveal my 800+ card Frankenset in a month or two. That's gonna be a grind!

    ReplyDelete