Monday, May 18, 2020

Bill Clemens, We Hardly Knew Ye

One thing I always liked about the early Donruss baseball cards was the full player's name appearing on the backs of the cards. It was just a quirky detail that someone like me enjoys. It was always interesting to see a player's full name, especially if their first name was a nickname or if they went by their middle name. A couple of my favorite players, Ryne Sandberg and Mark Grace, have the middle names Dee and Eugene respectively. I wouldn't know that without the Donruss cards. These cards also told us that Kirby Puckett was the Twins star's full legal name, as is the case for the now infamous Jose Canseco.

But back to those guys who went by something other than their first name. Did you know there are actually a lot of them? And not just random scrub players, but some of the biggest stars of the 80s and 90s. I looked through some 1990 Donruss cards to appreciate the beautiful design (sarcasm, of course) and to see if I could find some players who went by their middle name. I didn't even look at that many and still found several examples. So I'll present those here, in quiz format, because the former teacher in me can't help himself. But if you can't stand the quiz format, just scroll down to see the players/cards in question.

I also had some 88 and 91 Donruss nearby, so I found a couple of the examples from those sets. And now, the quiz:

1) Which member of the 1998 NL Champion Padres went by his middle name?

A) Tony Gwynn
B) Ken Caminiti
C) Greg Vaughn
D) Kevin Brown


2) Which Twins ace preferred his middle name?

A) Jim Kaat
B) Bert Blyleven
C) Johan Santana
D) Frank Viola


3) Which member of the 1993 World Series Champion Toronto Blue Jays went by a version of his middle name?

A) Rickey Henderson
B) Tony Fernandez
C) John Olerud
D) Joe Carter


4) Which Hall of Fame pitcher was known by his middle name?

A) Nolan Ryan
B) Phil Niekro
C) Don Sutton
D) Greg Maddux

5) Which pitcher who debuted in the 1980s preferred his middle name?

A) Orel Hershiser
B) Tom Glavine
C) Fernando Valenzuela
D) Roger Clemens

6) Which long-time Mariners slugger goes by his middle name?

A) Ken Griffey Jr.
B) Jay Buhner
C) Alvin Davis
D) Edgar Martinez


I think you'll be surprised by some of these. I know I was, and I'm sure I had seen them all at some point in my life. There are undoubtedly more examples than these (I'm looking at you George Thomas Seaver!), so feel free to leave your examples in the comments below. Anyway, many thanks to our favorite cards of the Overproduction Era, 1988, 1990, and 1991 Donruss. 


1) Which member of the 1998 NL Champion Padres went by his middle name?

A) Tony Gwynn
B) Ken Caminiti
C) Greg Vaughn
D) Kevin Brown

1990 Donruss #343 James "Kevin" Brown

Easy to understand Kevin's decision to go with the middle name. He could have gone with James Brown, risking confusion with the Godfather of Soul. He could have been Jim Brown, knowing he'd be associated with arguably the best football player of all time. He could have been Jimmy Brown, but that just doesn't seem to fit. So Kevin it is!

2) Which Twins ace preferred his middle name?

A) Jim Kaat
B) Bert Blyleven
C) Johan Santana
D) Frank Viola

1990 Donruss #331 Rik ("Bert") Aalbert Blyleven

It worked out alright for 7'4" NBAer Rik Smits to go by his given name when he entered the NBA in the 1980s. Fellow Dutchman Blyleven, however, came to America with his family in the mid-50s, so maybe America wasn't ready for a Rik at that time. 

Additional notes:
1) I think that mark on the card is Donruss puzzle glue stain or something. So the Donruss equivalent to a gum stain.
2) Blyleven was traded to the Angels with Kevin Trudeau. Wonder if it's the same Kevin Trudeau who went to jail after peddling those "Cures THEY Don't Want You to Know About" books.


3) Which member of the 1993 World Series Champion Toronto Blue Jays went by a version of his middle name?

A) Rickey Henderson
B) Tony Fernandez
C) John Olerud
D) Joe Carter

1988 Donruss #319 Octavio Antonio "Tony" Fernandez

Tony, who in my mind is quite underrated, passed away in February. If you ask me, Octavio is pretty cool. Certainly worked for Octavio Dotel. That guy played for 13 teams! 


4) Which Hall of Fame pitcher was known by his middle name?

A) Nolan Ryan
B) Phil Niekro
C) Don Sutton
D) Greg Maddux

1990 Donruss #166 Nolan Ryan

Can you imagine Nolan Ryan going by Lynn? Neither can I.

5) Which pitcher who debuted in the 1980s preferred his middle name?

A) Orel Hershiser
B) Tom Glavine
C) Fernando Valenzuela
D) Roger Clemens

1991 Donruss #81 William "Roger" Clemens

I wonder if Clemens was the guy Sheryl Crow was singing about in "All I Wanna Do." In the song, she meets a William whom she is sure went by "Bill or Billy or Mack or Buddy." No Sheryl, he went by Roger. Which works, I think, because Bill Clemens just doesn't have the same ring to it. 

6) Which long-time Mariners slugger goes by his middle name?

A) Ken Griffey Jr.
B) Jay Buhner
C) Alvin Davis
D) Edgar Martinez

1990 Donruss #365 George (Ken) Kenneth Griffey Jr.

Let's let this one sink in for a minute. 

George Griffey Jr... 

GEORGE. 

If the most marketable baseball player of the last half century would have gone by his given name, would he have been as marketable? I don't think so. I guess we have the original George Kenneth Griffey (Sr.) to thank for that, since he's the guy who went by Ken to being with. 

Really, these guys all had pretty normal first names, but apparently just chose to go with their middle name, probably for a variety of reasons. But I don't think that was to case for everyone. Why, you ask? Because of Andy Hawkins. Who is Andy Hawkins? A middle of the road pitcher with a couple good seasons who spent 10 seasons in the bigs. Win/loss of 84-91, 4.22 ERA, 1.3 WAR. Pretty much your run of the mill major leaguer. I don't really have a great grasp on how it's calculated, but I feel like going by this first name would somehow drop you like 10 points in the WAR formula.

1989 Donruss Traded #T-52 Melton (Andy) Andrew Hawkins

Poor Melton. 

8 comments:

  1. Your headline scared me a bit--I was worried that Tom Seaver had died.

    It's certainly a crazy thing that Babe Ruth, Tom Seaver, and Ken Griffey Jr. were all actually named George. Actually I think there was a discussion of this on another blog where I wondered whether any of today's young stars are also stealth Georges. We need a new one to continue the tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that but with Mr. Seaver not being in the best of health recently, I probably should have. Mea culpa.

      Delete
  2. I knew players' middle names, but not because of '81 Donruss. It was because early '70s Topps used middle names: https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2009/06/stuck-in-middle-with-you.html

    That's also just one of the times I mentioned Rik Bert Blyleven's name in a post:

    https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2019/11/full-name-please.html

    Let's hope Sheryl wasn't singing about Clemens. She's had enough trouble with men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff. I have a follow up post planned highlighting some other unique names. There are a couple overlaps, like Mr. Tenace, so I'll link to your post in appreciation for trailblazing if that's ok. I've got a couple newer ones up my sleeve.

      Delete
  3. I've spent enough time staring at late 80s and early 90s Donruss know have Lynn stuck in my head as one of Nolan Ryan's names, but I thought it was his middle name. Glad to have that corrected!
    Somehow the George Griffey, Jr. thing is brand new to me. How did I not know that one? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it the case that when a kid is named after his dad, the kid will get called by the middle name. So Ken Griffey Jr's dad was presumably known as George and Ken was called Ken to distinguish him from his dad. Make not, but that's how it tends to work in the UK.

    ReplyDelete