Saturday, May 9, 2020

A Sitcom Throwback: My Favorite Frankenset Card by Page; Page 4 (Cards 28-36)

Picking a winner for page four was a tough call. Two pairs of glasses, a classic nickname, and a legendary mustache were involved.

Not being one to sport facial hair, I am not privy to the ins and outs of the practice. But I feel like even those who possess a beard or a mustache might have trouble explaining how it is possible to have this amount of volume above the lip. In third place this week:



1982 Topps Sticker #28, Tim Blackwell


Legendary.


The runner up this week is a card that immediately reminded me of a sitcom episode from the 90s. Maybe you've had this happen, where there are certain cards when you see them for the first time, your immediate thought is, "That looks like _____." I find that it's usually someone you know, but not always. (Hmm... that sounds like a future post.) In any event, fans of Seinfeld will remember an episode where Jerry ends up wearing a pair of thick glasses basically to avoid rattling the fragile psyche of a character named Lloyd Braun.

For Seinfeld fans, that will be enough introduction for this card. For others, do a quick Google search and see if you agree with me!

Here it is:


1985 Topps #36, Fred Breining


The pose makes it an even more perfect match to Jerry Seinfeld's borrowed glasses.

Alright, now the moment you have all been waiting for.

Usually when a card checks off two categories in the Frankenset, it is hard to beat. And that was the case with the final card, the Frankenset champion of page four. There's so much to love here: An unequaled pair of sunglasses, and embroidered button up sweater, and of course, perhaps the most memorable nickname of 80s baseball.



1986 Leaf #35, Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd


I'm grateful to the makers of Leaf for this gem. They were also very thoughtful to put "Oil Can" in quotations just to make sure we didn't think it was his real first name. The more I look at this card, the more I appreciate its brilliance. And with that, it is the king of page four.

5 comments:

  1. and to think "Oil Can" wasn't a parallel! Three fun cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that Oil Can card is fantastic! I've added that one to my want list. Definitely a winner here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to go back and watch some Seinfeld. One of the greatest sitcoms of all-time and I can totally picture him on that Breining. And Blackwell's 'stache is one for the ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never a fan of Seinfeld, but I did always enjoy pulling cards of Oil Can when I was a kid, and from what I've seen on Twitter, there are a number of people who still collect him... which is kind of neat!

    ReplyDelete