Monday, May 25, 2020

The Greatest Card of All Time?

Any time a card captures a significant moment in baseball history, it deserves attention. Like this Lenny Randle card that Nick featured recently.

I found the glorious card I am featuring today in a dime box (!!!) at a local card shop a few months ago. I'll miss that shop and its dime boxes, as it closed a couple of months ago. The fact that I got this for 10 cents makes it even better. It depicts a classic and unforgettable scene from the early 90s. It's 1993. Nolan Ryan is on the mound in his final season at the ripe old age of 46. Robin Ventura is an up and coming star with the White Sox. The two teams had some bad blood boiling around this time, and Ventura took a stand when Ryan plunked him in the back an inning after Texas outfielder Juan Gonzalez took a beaning. Here's the visual:



Ryan pounding on Ventura's head while another Hall of Famer, Ivan Rodriguez, tries to keep the peace. The card captures that perfect moment where Nolan has Robin in an old school headlock. 

The card is one of 15,000 (Rare? I have no real point of reference. Most cards were being produced with like two million copies at this time, so let's call it rare.) In any event, the back of the card is dripping with a sarcastic, punny goodness that puts the finishing touches on a legendary card:



And you gotta love that upside down answer. 

So as I see it, the list of the greatest cards of all time might look something like this*:
Something like that. But honestly, #1 is so far above the others that it really doesn't matter.

Finally, I will leave you with the obligatory link to the YouTube video showing the iconic scene so the glory can be relived yet again. If you haven't seen it yet, you're welcome. 

(*For the record, although the Nolan Ryan card is truly an awesome card, I don't believe it is the greatest of all time, so please don't argue with me in the comments. But do feel free to leave your choice for the best baseball card ever. I'm not totally sure what my #1 truly is. The others I listed are very iconic and I do enjoy them. Honestly, due to sentimental value, this other Nolan Ryan card might be my favorite card ever.)

7 comments:

  1. There's a 2004 Donruss card commemorating the fight, but sadly it doesn't have a picture from it, and even the text is strangely vague--if you didn't know that the two had been in a fight, you wouldn't quite get what happened. https://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/15968/cid/2175948/2004-Donruss-Leather-&-Lumber---Rivals-LLR-25-Nolan-Ryan-/-Robin-Ventura

    ReplyDelete
  2. A batter getting six hits off the same pitcher in one game has got to be some kind of record.
    I've never seen that card before. It's magnificent!
    Oh and I love your choice for #5 on your list. I bought a weathered reprint for my HOF binder knowing I'll never be able to afford the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah 2 through 5 were all off the top of my head. Really like that Paige.

      Delete
  3. If greatest card and favorite card are synonymous... than I'm going with my 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson. I love that card so much, I even researched it...

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2016/04/every-picture-has-story.html

    As for my favorite Nolan Ryan card... that's a much tougher choice. Depending on how I'm feeling... it's either the 1999 Topps Chrome refractor or his 1971 Topps card. Since I'm feeling nostalgic... today, I'll go with the 1971.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the 56 Topps set. Hard to go wrong with a choice from there, especially with a great like Jackie Robinson.

      I'm sure Nolan has an underwhelming card out there, but nothing comes to mind. So many great ones to choose from.

      Delete