Thursday, May 7, 2020

Griffey, Canseco, and Mariano Rivera Rookies

The title of this post is misleading. Purposely misleading. Why, you ask? It seems pretty straightforward, right? You're thinking, he's going to talk about some awesome rookie cards of three of the great players from the 90s and 00s.

Well... not exactly.

Because, you see, this post is really about a strange mini-collection. Instead of explaining the nature of that mini-collection, let me first show you the cards referenced in the title of this post.


1995 Upper Deck Minors #59, Craig Griffey


2015 Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects #114, Mariano Rivera


1991 Score #346, Ozzie Canseco


I call this mini-collection the "Lesser Knowns." There are various categories of lesser knowns that I have developed within this mini-collection. The Craig Griffey, Ozzie Canseco, and Mariano Rivera cards fit into a category of lesser knowns within the same baseball family. 

The other categories:

  • Lesser knowns with the same name as a considerably more famous non-baseball athlete.

1981 Topps #294, Mike Tyson

  • And finally, lesser knowns with the same name as a considerably more famous non-athlete.

1987 Donruss #484, Jim Morrison

I'm sure you can think of examples of some additional players who would fit into each of the lesser known categories. Feel free to leave yours in the comments below. At some point, I might just reveal my entire list of cards in this mini-collection. There are several mixed into the Frankenset, so be on the lookout.

8 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I have a James Harden, except it is some baseball player. Let me know if you need it, I'm not sure if it fits exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Definitely fits in the same name as a much more famous athlete category. Would love to have it.

      Delete
    2. I just looked through over 8ooo cards and didn't find it. I know it's around here somewhere though, when I find it I'll let you know.

      Delete
    3. I found the Harden!! I'll throw it in with your Diamond Nine winnings.

      Delete
  2. Love creative mini collections like these. Here are a few brothers that came to mind... Billy Ripken. Ken Brett. Chris Gwynn. Mike Maddux.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the guys with same names as other more famous athletes or non-athletes. In football there are 2 guys named Michael Jackson one I think played in the '90s and the other one is more recent and might still be playing. It only gets confusing when trying to catalog things and you run across 2 players with the same name in the same sport or you are looking for older cards from a famous father whose son followed in dad's footsteps, sometimes overshadowing dad as with Ken Griffey Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone helpfully sent me some Tony Gwynn cards but two of them were his son, Tony junior.

    ReplyDelete