Saturday, May 30, 2020

Wait, What's Your Name Again? (Donruss Names Series - Part 2)

Recently, I brought you on a journey reliving the glory of 1981 to 1992 Donruss. Specifically, I took a look at some quite famous players who actually went by their middle name during their playing career. The Donruss card company made this excursion possible. And we aren't done yet. In the coming weeks, I will share with you other nuggets found buried on the otherwise forgettable backs of Donruss baseball cards from the time period 1981 to 1992 (coinciding with the years the company listed the player's full name on the back of the card). 

Today's installment looks at players whom you are sure went by a nickname. You will think, there's no way that's his real name. But it is. As I see it, these lie on a spectrum from, "Hmm... that's kind of surprising" to "That's the most absurd thing I've heard since the one game wildcard round." We have seven candidates today, so here we go:

7. (Tie) Junior Felix (1990 Donruss) and Junior Kennedy (1982 Donruss)






In my experience, Junior is typically a nickname for someone who shares his name with his father. Uncertain if that's the case here. Junior Kennedy is thinking here: "Are you really doubting my name? The nerve!"


5. Mickey Tettleton (1986 Donruss)




This one makes more sense when you consider that Tettleton and Mickey Mantle both grew up in Oklahoma. Mantle's first name was also not a nickname.


4. U. L. Washington (1982 Donruss)




We are left to speculate if U. L.'s parents meant to convey any meaning by his initials. Some quick brainstorming ideas:
1) Useful Lefty (He was a switch hitter, so it kind of works)
2) Understated Legend (Not sure this one holds up in the baseball world)
3) Unusual Laugh (Anybody know U.L. or how he laughs?)


3. Carney Lansford (1986 Leaf - Yes, I know this is a Leaf card, but we love the Canadians here in ND)




Carney was featured in a previous post. He is known by me for his glasses and mustache (see above photo), as well as his blurry 1982 Fleer card. And my sister and I always enjoyed his name. 


2. Spike Owen (1990 Donruss)




Spike was destined for one of three possible careers:
1) Railroad construction worker
2) Bartender
3) Professional athlete who wears spikes

Career #3 it is! (For the record, Spike Lee's first name is Shelton.)

It was quite difficult to choose between #2 and #1. In all honesty, I think I just went with the name I like better. The last name is arguably as fantastic as the first. So, I present to you the one and only:

1. Biff Pocoroba (1984 Donruss)




Sadly, Biff Pocoroba passed away last Sunday at the age of 66. 

The only other Biff I know of is from Back to the Future. And I always assumed it was a nickname. Not so in the case of Mr. Pocoroba. But credit to his parents because if there ever was someone who looked like a Biff, it was Biff Pocoroba. May he rest in peace.

Well, thanks for stopping by. There will be more of the Donruss Names Series, but I won't tell you how much more or else you might end up abandoning this blog forever. Then I'll feel the desperation of Krusty the Clown when he lost the rights to show Itchy and Scratchy cartoons: "We've got some real good toy commercials coming up, I swear!" 

3 comments:

  1. Mickey Mantle, in turn, was named for Mickey Cochrane, the Hall of Fame catcher. So was he actually a Michael or something? Nope. His full name was Gordon Stanley Cochrane. He was called "Mickey" to make fun of him for being Irish, in the days when people still discriminated against the Irish and slurs were still common in so-called polite society. Cochrane--who was actually Scottish, not Irish--hated being called than and it certainly wasn't what friends called him.

    When I was a kid we always said that UL Washington's name stood for "Underwriters Laboratories". At some point I may have even believed it.

    Sorry to hear about Biff Pocoroba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of "Spike" my mind immediately goes to that big bulldog from Looney Tunes. I always thought it was a great nickname for people, but didn't realize it was Spike Owen's actual given name.
    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Tettleton's parents were fans of Walt Disney? And I immediately thought of Back to the Future when I saw Pocoroba's name.

    ReplyDelete